The training program is designed for staff members of NMHSs, and aims to provide knowledge and techniques in relation to numerical weather prediction, satellite meteorology and climate information. Its goals also include the capacity building to enable application of the knowledge acquired and techniques to produce and deliver the meteorological and climatological information needed by users including disaster prevention authorities.
- Title: Reinforcement of meteorological services
- Period of program:
From September through December every year (three months)
- Target countries
The major targets are Asian and Pacific countries. An announcement will be made to the target countries for the year around June. Please note that target countries may vary from year to year.
- Overall goal
The course aims to promote activities to reinforce the meteorological services of each country by applying meteorological data/products such as numerical weather prediction, satellite imagery and climate information.
- Eligible/target organizations
The program is offered to governmental or government-related organizations in charge of meteorological services.
- Total number of participants
The program takes on about eight trainees each year.
- Program language
The training is conducted in English.
JICA Tokyo International Center (JICA TOKYO)
- Implementing partner
The Japan Meteorological Agency
- Objectives of the course
(1) Fundamental techniques
Participants will learn to explain fundamental techniques such as numerical weather prediction (NWP) and satellite meteorology through:
- Lectures on the basics of numerical weather prediction and its application
- Lectures outlining satellite meteorology and the application of satellite data
Participants will learn how to produce meteorological information that meets user requirements based on fundamental techniques such as NWP and satellite meteorology through:
- Exercises on satellite data application
- Exercises on operational forecasting
- Lectures on the knowledge and skills needed to produce meteorological information that meets users' requirements
Participants will learn how brief on climate conditions and produce climate information using climatological and global environmental data and products through:
- Lectures on climatological and global environmental information
- Exercises on the application of climatological and global environmental information
Participants will draw up a master plan to improve the meteorological services of their organizations in their own countries through:
- Creation of a final report (including a master plan)
- Presentation of the final report and discussion
Application and selection procedures
An announcement will be made to the target countries for the year around June. NMHSs interested in the course, especially in the area of MTSAT, should apply to take part by submitting the application form delivered with the announcement.
Submitted application forms will be examined on the basis of the necessary qualifications for participants.
- Photo Gallery --- Group Training Course for Reinforcement of Meteorological Services 2009 (15 September - 15 December 2009)
- Photo Gallery --- Group Training Course - Reinforcement of Meteorological Services 2008 (16 September - 12 December 2008)
- Photo Gallery --- Group Training Course - Meteorology 2007 (11 September - 15 December 2007)