On 31 August 2007, MTSAT imagery has become available through "Sentinel Asia" website by the coordinated effort of the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA). "Sentinel Asia", chiefly promoted by JAXA as a contribution to GEONETCast initiative, is an Internet-based Web-GIS disaster management support system for the Asia-Pacific region. It provides easy-to-use interface to information necessary for natural disaster prevention and mitigation. MTSAT imagery can be browsed freely and overlaid with other information. The basic functions of the website include:
- selecting imagery type (VIS, IR1 and water vapour (IR3)) and observation time,
- browsing fully-zoomable imagery of any selected area from all coverage,
- overlaying with geographical data (e.g., map data, LANDSAT imagery, DEM and land cover),
- overlaying with MODIS hot spot data, and
- overlaying with TRMM precipitation estimated by IF-Net.